Thursday, May 12, 2011

:(

Do you know how sad it is to lose a friend?
One minute you're hanging out and sharing jokes, the next its cold shoulders and awkward silences.
I have recently lost such a friend.
He was one of my closest and I would tell him anything. I'd known him since I was a toddler. We went through school together, went through orchestras together and the trails and tribulations of teenage life. Best friends doesn't even come close to describing how I felt our friendship was...I saw him more as a brother.
But that all changed around the time of his 18th birthday. As he is six months older, he could go out to clubs and the like with the other 18 year olds. He developed a new friendship group. That didn't bother me, we have always had friends outside of each other. Nothing could rock the solid foundation of our friendship, right?
Wrong!
Week after week we drifted further apart. Speaking more as old acquaintances rather than as people who have been friends for 15 years. The silences got longer. We went to different schools for Uni and College. He continues to go out drinking with the other people and never even replies to texts.
Tonight I met him in the Supermarket...
He barely acknowledged my presence before making excuses to leave with her.
I hope we can reclaim some of the closeness we had before, but I doubt it.

I am now in mourning for my dearest friend.

AEx

No comments:

Post a Comment