Thursday, May 12, 2011

Aaahhh!!

People my age are supposed to go out to clubs and pubs and have a good time, right?
People my age are supposed to have a multitude of friends and be able to make new ones, right?
People my age are supposed to have a life, right?

Right!

But I don't.  

I seem to have a self-destructing streak doubled with my inability to clearly articulate my thoughts and feelings through the process of speech.  I may be able to string a sentence together when I write things down, but when it comes to speaking about myself, and my thoughts the words fail me.  For example, I have been to two nightclubs since I turned of legal age.  They were both for my close friends birthdays and through a sense of moral obligation I agreed to go and I did.  Now I'm not saying that it was an awful experience, but as
a copious drinker and a very, very reserved individual I had a horrible time.  I saw my friends having a good laugh and being able to integrate themselves in a way that I could only dream of doing.  

Whenever someone asks me to go on a night out, I find myself having a minor anxiety attack and I get extremely  nervous.  I would love to go, I know deep down that I will regret missing the opportunity in later life, but my body and mind fight this and I end up declining the offer.  It also doesn't help that large crowds and loud noises (I know as a trumpet player that that is insane) make me emotionally unstable.  

That is why I have decided to do something about my crippling (in a social sense) situation.  After my exams which finish next Friday, I am going to go to a pub and build my tolerance for the night-life up one week at a time, so that when my friends say "going out tonight?", I will be able to give an honest answer and not one based on fear and intimidation.

This will also, hopefully, enhance the chances I have to find myself a boyfriend, because I feel unutterably alone.

AEx        

No comments:

Post a Comment