Sunday, July 10, 2011

Year Abroad 3: I need to decide when to leave/birthday blues

The BA sale is on until the 12th of July so that gives me precisely 48 hours to book my tickets so that I am guaranteed a good deal.  Problem is that the Andalucian government in all their wisdom haven't announced a date for the induction course yet, and probably won't for some time.  I'm going to have to risk booking a flight and maybe missing the course or finding myself with more free time to explore before starting my job.  The second option is probably beneficial as I have a lot to do when I first get to Spain.  I need to get forms filled in by the local police department so that I can get my NIE - numero de individulaes extranjeros - which is required to A) open a Spanish bank account so that B) they can give me my wages.  I also have to find a flat, organise a sim card for my phone and find my way about.

That all sounds good so far doesn't it?

But...and here's the kicker...I will miss my birthday.  Now I know its just a date and it is arbitrary and doesn't mean anything, but to me it symbolises a lot of what I have to sacrifice this year.  I have to give up my family and friends and go months without seeing the special people in my life.  I also know that I will be home for a short period at Christmas and really this first part is only 3 months.  But I have decided on a new course of action and that is to move my birthday forward by one month, for this year only.  This should give me time to celebrate and not be too sad about going.    

At this moment in time I am planning to depart Glasgow on the 24th/25th September and fly to Madrid where I will spend the night before travelling onwards to Baeza.  This will give me a week before I start my job to get myself sorted and to meet the people at my school etc.  I am sure I shall be far too busy on my actual birthday to be sad.

That is just some of the stuff keeping me up at night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment