Wednesday, July 13, 2011

30 Day TV Challenge - Day 4

Day 4 - Favourite Drama

I'll dispense with the usual pre-amble that I seem to be developing in these posts.  The whole I like a lot of stuff, hard to choose, blah blah blah.

My favourite drama series is Dr Who.

I first saw Dr Who the night that the first Christopher Eccleston episode aired on BBC 1.  I didn't really know anything about it, and wasn't too fussed about watching. Enter my mum, who grew up watching the 'classic' series and is normally a very reserved lady, acting very excited and not allowing the other people who were at dinner with us to speak when the show came on.  Odd behaviour indeed.
But then I saw why.  This show tapped into that part of my imagination that yearned to jump into the TARDIS with a crazy madman.  I wanted, and still want to adventure to everywhere that is possible and even to those places that exist only in my imagination.   The part of me that is still a child and believe that anything is possible.
My Doctor Who viewing only encompasses the 'modern' version i.e. the post-2005 seasons.  I want to start watching the 'classic' series but I have no idea where to begin.
My favourite Doctor was David Tennant.  Whilst I liked Eccleston and his darker portrayal of this tortured man, the lighter version was even more compelling.  His final episode had me in tears.  I have only recently began to like Matt Smith's incarnation, mostly thanks to the Neil Gaiman penned episode.  One of the great things about this show is that it can go from silly and absurd to deep emotions in the space of one episode.  The other great thing about this show is that it keeps evolving and as actors and writers change the show finds a new way to explore the world's most favourite Gallifrean.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment