Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Year Abroad: I don't want to go home, but maybe I sort-of do


I have gotten to that point of the year abroad that everyone tells you will come, but at the beginning you don’t believe.  I really don’t want to leave…

I have a bubble.  My little, year abroad experience, bubble.  Sure, I have problems here, things are not always easy, but through those gruelling experiences, the bitchy people, the homesickness etc. comes a closeness to people who you’d never have met without being here.  I have made such wonderful friends from all over the world, and I don’t want to stop seeing them.  Of course I have my own friends back home, whom I love to pieces, but they can’t understand fully just how hard and intense this year is, whereas the people I know here appreciate exactly what is going on.   

I wrote this a few months ago, and since then my mind has changed a little.  Now, whilst I'm going to miss (almost) everything here, and whilst I'm lucky to not be homesick, I am not desperate to stay.   I am ready to go home when the time comes in just under two months, because even if I was here everyone that I know would be leaving.

Some of my friends from here are staying on in Spain, and hopefully this means that a few American voices will be coming to Glenboig.  But I have to move on, graduate and then if I want I can do something like this again in the future.  Especially that I now know that I can do it.

The rest of my time will fly in, and as long as I make the most of it then I will be happy to leave.  And I know that the memories I have made will last forever.  


No comments:

Post a Comment