Thursday, March 29, 2012

Year Abroad: Highlights of the week 17th - 23rd March


Saturday 17th – Long lie.  Watched some of The Tudors.
On the way home from Mercadona I saw a dog sitting perfectly in a tractor.  He looked as though he were the driver.  Ran home to fetch my camera and went and took a picture.  The dog looked right at me, perfectly posed.  Waved good bye to the doggie and headed home.


 

Concert time!  This concert was a warm-up for Semana Santa and we were playing marches taking you through the week starting with Palm Sunday ones, through the more funereal Good Friday ones and finishing with the happy Easter ones.  They are good fun to play and the concert went well.  I even heard my first Saeta – an unaccompanied solo part of traditional Andaluz marches where the singer/soloist sings directly to God.  They are very powerful and of course it was one of those wee old men that you think is about to die but actually has a massive set of lungs on him who sang them. 
 (I'm playing in all these videos...:D)

Then I came home and watched Star Wars Episode IV.


Sunday 18th – Got up and decided that it was far too nice a day to spend it indoors.  So armed with my book I went up to the Mirador and sat in the glorious sunshine for a few hours.  It was so clear that you could look down over the valley, which is usually foggy, and listen to the birds singing. 


Monday 19th – Read a ton of my book and finished off work for the following week.


Tuesday 20th – First day of the working week.  Also the first day of Spring….ha!  We have been having lovely warm weather and glorious sunshine for about five weeks now, I was even at the point where I was considering switching to my ¾ length shorts.

 At 12.30 am it started to pour.  And it didn’t stop.  Had to go back to my heavy jacket with its hood.  All the Spanish teachers were excited that it was raining finally…I wasn’t. 

Then when I was in class and the teacher was explaining something in Spanish I was looking out of the window and it started to snow…yes snow…all the kids got really excited and Alejandra let them all rush to the windows to look at the snow.  It continued to snow for the rest of the afternoon and when I left the school I checked the thermometer…2 degrees Celsius…







Give me back winter if this is your idea of spring


Wednesday 21st  – The weather took a turn for the good and the temperatures went back into the teens.  The classes were alright but I was super tired.  Gloria kept laughing at the way she was saying “take your sheet” because all she could think of was how it sounded like sh*t.    


Thursday 22nd  – Got to sleep in as I had no class until after the break.  Turned out I didn’t have class with one of my teachers on the Friday but her class were going to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and would I like to join them…guess what one of Fridays highlights is…

Went out for tapas and it turned out to only be myself, Reyes and Chusa.  I got to speak Spanish for a slightly longer period of time but I ended up tongue tied.  Part of my problem is that whilst I don’t translate from English and sort of have a run at Spanish I lack enough vocabulary to allow this.  So my brain will just be searching and grabbing for words. 

After this we headed to Café Central for a little while and watched part of the live music.  The band were pretty good, but when they sang R.E.M’s We Put a Man on the Moon they kept singing Mon instead of moon…it was sort of jarring, but funny and understandable.  It reminded me of the Ken Lee woman from Bulgarian X-factor.

 



Friday 23rd  - Went to school and watched HP.  Tried very hard not to get too emotional as the last film is pretty intense and upsetting…One of the kids in that class had never read nor seen a Harry Potter book/film…Spain truly is a strange place.

Had band rehearsal and the went to meet up with people in La Pena – the flamenco bar.  Listened to a young guy playing the guitar and a young woman singing.  Was falling asleep by the time they were done.  I do enjoy flamenco, but more the fast paced stuff and not so much the dirges that all eventually sound the same. 

After their concert we went upstairs and were treated to something a bit more lively.  Some old guy in a suit was playing guitar and the boys who work at La Pena were singing and clapping along.  Dave was so drunk that he joined in…


I went home and slept for ages.


Days until I finish at Santisima -  64


No comments:

Post a Comment