Sunday, January 08, 2012

Year Abroad: What am I doing here? Why? (part 2)

This post is a follow up to Year Abroad: The post in which I explain what I’m doing here and where I’m doing it (part 1).

     So.  We know where I am, and roughly what I am doing.

     I am working here as a language assistant.  This job is one a lot of people want for their year abroad for the simple reason that you are getting paid for your time, are less likely to fall into debt and you may indeed be able to save up some cash while your here.  Also the schools are usually in towns and it is a chance to experience authentic culture, whether you want to or not.  Luckily I do....mostly.

The school..from the 16th century
     As previously mentioned I am working in a state run high school, Santisima Trinidad.  This is a bilingual school meaning that children in the lower school can opt, or most likely their parents opt for them, to learn in both English and Spanish.  And this means that instead of me being in English classes, I "assist" in subjects such as Geography, Natural Science, Plastica (a mix of art, technical drawing and geometry), Civics and I have one English class which is for an optional exam.  I haven't done most of these subjects since I was the same age as the children I have in my classes.  I cannot draw to save my life!  Fair enough, I have Higher Physics but that is not the same as being able to teach concepts such as matter and elements etc to children who don't even seem, sometimes to have the basics in their own language.

     I do enjoy what I am doing here although sometimes the language barrier can be difficult to break through in subjects such as science where small words, such as "consists" or "taste" which I didn't know in Spanish and the kids didn't know in English can distract from the lesson as we have to go through miming and confused looks before we agree on the translated word...my favourite class (and yes I do have favourites) have to be the class I have for Geography.  This is one of the first year classes that I see as part of a larger set but for some reason they are only a small group for the Geography lessons.  They are a bunch of characters.  They carry on a lot in this class but for the most part do their work and are always good natured.  One of the little boys seems to have an excess of energy and will randomly get up, run around the desks and then sit back down...then answer all the questions correctly.  One time when the teacher went out a phone went off...if the teacher was there then she'd have to confiscate it...but I just told them to keep it zipped and instant kudos points to me for that...

     So the basic whys I have covered in the last post...basically that this year is compulsory.  But I have realised that that is only the underpinning reason for doing this year.
     Already I have learned a lot not only in terms of language but also about myself and my ability to exist as an individual.  Before this year I lived in the security of the family home with my parents and sister.  I didn't have to worry about money for rent, for food, for electricity, for any extras and trips that I wanted to do...I mean I didn't have unlimited resources before and there is still a back-up should there be an emergency but I seem to be a good budgeter and whilst I don't have to look after anyone else but me it has been a good lesson to have learned.  I have also learned how to be more confident and that I do have the ability to stand in front of a classroom of weans and impart knowledge...for me this was a huge mental block since I have always been very very shy...now look at me!  I can do anything...I mean I joined a band in Spain!  I have also made good friendships with people from across the globe.  The Americans are good fun and they have been a good support and a good laugh.  I now also have French, Australian, the other token Brit and of course Spanish friends and it has been fun getting to learn aspects of other cultures from them...the Australian girl is probably the only, along with the Welsh one to know who Rolf Harris is, what I'm a Celeb is and  other such important cultural icons...the rest of them didn't even know what the Snowman was...I weep for humanity...

A pic from Halloween with a lot of people I hardly knew then, who are now some of my good friends
Christmas party.  

Megan, Reyes and I after the Christmas lunch
     Also my language has improved a lot...I didn't quite realise this until just before the Christmas break.  I had had such a boost the day of the Santa Cecilia lunch and then at the school's Christmas lunch was another chance for me to prove it to myself.  Then over the Christmas holidays at my cousin's wedding there was a Spanish woman (married to my uncle's best friend, she is called Maria...Spain, you need to think of some new names...it's too predictable) and being one of the few Spanish speakers (along with my mum, her sister and probably a few other guests) I was presented...here talk Spanish...so I did.  I may even have gotten a Summer job from it, and a house to live in whilst I'm working.  
 
     So am I enjoying this experience so far...I'd have to say that the majority of the time yes I enjoy it, slightly less of the time I am absolutely loving it and only a small amount of time, usually when I am really tired or not feeling great then I hate it...but back I go and I am determined to make the most of it.  Summer will be here soon and then my time will be over and I will be crying about having to go back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment