Sunday, December 25, 2011

Year Abroad: Christmas day



            Christmas this year was always going to be special.  It was the first time I would be with my family for three months, and those three months were some of the most intense of my life.  I moved abroad, I started a job and I became independent, much more confident and my Spanish was picking up speed.  Whilst I haven’t changed all that much, I feel different, happier in my own skin and I have the knowledge that I can do it, because I’ve done it.  Moved to Spain by myself – check, lived by myself – check, made foreign friends from across the globe – check, became just that little bit more awesome – check. 
           
            So I got home on Christmas Eve and after some sleep I was woken up by my mum who had gotten in Lorne sausages and rolls.  She made my dad cook them and then we sat and watched the Glee holiday special.  In the afternoon Katherine and I completed the tradition of watching The Muppets Christmas Carol and then we had to go get ready to go to my Uncle Peter’s before Midnight Mass (at 9pm).  We got up to his house and the first thing we notice is that he now has cats.  My sister is terribly allergic and she couldn’t stay inside for more than a few minutes.  We also knew that my cousin who was getting married later on that week had allergies and they also didn’t know about the cats.  But the cats have given him something to do and that is a good thing.  Then we went to church.

            In our house we do presents just after midnight so that we can have a longish lie in on Christmas morning before heading to see my dad’s family.  My main present this year was a blu-ray player and the Lion King on blu-ray.  My mum got a kindle, Katherine got an iPod and my dad got various odds and ends.  On Christmas morning my (great)Aunty Jeanie, (great)Uncle Jim and (mum’s)cousin Jim came down and we saw them, chatted and chilled out.  Then we had to head up to my aunty Elaine’s to see all the McAlindens and give presents out.  I love seeing everyone on Christmas day, it’s our tradition.  Then it was time to go home and get ready for Christmas dinner at my mum’s sisters house. 

            I had nothing to wear so I borrowed Katherine’s dress, which I have now bought for myself.  I think that since my cousin was getting married that we are now all considered adults, as the conversations were definitely more adult than they were last year…it was just a good relaxing evening with nice traditional Christmas food.  Exactly the type of thing that I needed.  We then came home and watched the Dr Who episode.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment