Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Year Abroad - The Journey part dos...Madrid to Baeza

    
      The post previous to this was the journey from my home to Spain's capital city.  A journey of 1613 miles, which Google maps informs me would take 7 days and 14 hours to complete - providing you take a ferry to Santander (or are Jesus) and a lot of emotional turmoil.
          This post is about my day in Madrid before heading for the train to Linares-Baeza and the subsequent drive to Baeza, some 20km away. 

          I actually managed to get some sleep on the Sunday night.  I reckon all the emotions tire you out and the fact that I’d only had a couple of hours sleep on the Saturday and a busy day coupled with some paracetamol made for a decent sleep.  The hostal was quiet and as it was a Sunday night there weren’t too many noisy people on the streets outside.  My check-out was at 12 o’clock and my train at 3.30.  There was the option of leaving your stuff with the staff so I did that and went out to enjoy a few hours in the scorching sun of Madrid. 
          I was in need of a breakfast and after wandering about for a bit found an empty café where I tried churros, essentially Spanish doughnuts which they eat with chocolate.  I’ve had churros before and the ones at this place were not great.  But I persevered.  And after that I was all set for some walking.
          I went back to el Puerto del Sol and as I was walking around looking for the damn statue of the bear I stumbled into a tourist and found Kilometre Zero – a single slab on the pavement marking the dead centre of Spain.  I sat down at one of the fountains and sat in the sun for a while.  The weather here is still absolutely amazing, so hot and not humid.  I do love it.  Then in the corner of my eye I noticed a large group of people congregating – aha!  The bear.
          After I got another tourist to take my picture here I set off once more, just wandering aimlessly down the calles.  Two men in business suits were in front of me and I followed them, seeing where they were going.  I was not disappointed.  They walked through an archway and into La Plaza Mayor.  It was so overwhelming.  Its absolutely huge, with a statue of King Phillips 3rd in the centre and lots of bars and shops.  I went over to the tourist office to see if they had anything quick that I could do before I had to go to the station.  There was a Lion King exhibition but as it was a Monday it was shut. 
          Back to the hostal and then to the station.  I got a little lost when I reached Atocha because my train was leaving from Atocha Cercianas which is the local station attached to Atocha.  I had to go ask directions from the information centre because it wasn’t really signposted.  I was also really worried about my baggage because my ticket said you could only take two pieces of hand luggage on a RENFE train and these could only weigh 20kg in conjunction.  Well I had 3 pieces weighing close to 40kg.  But it didn’t matter to them.  They just waived me through.  I know that for some trains leaving the main Atocha train station there is a baggage check-in, so be careful not to flaunt the rules too much.  I gathered my suitcases and attempted to get down the escalators.  This feel apart when myself and my rucksack and laptop set off but my suitcase stayed where it was…luckily a Spanish man was just behind me and he brought it down…oops!  I had one more set of escalators to contend with before getting on the train but I managed that time. 
          Getting onto the train was a tad difficult because there was a gap in between the platform and the train, but once again a young Spanish man lifted my giant suitcase with ease and another man helped me to shove it into the luggage rack.  The train was nice.  Lots of legroom and big windows from which I could look out and see Castilla Leon pass me by and then we entered Andalucia.  Spain is so big, and so empty.  It’s the vastness of its plains which amazed me.  Just nothingness.  I was on edge a lot of the journey, even though I knew what time we were due to arrive.  I just wanted to be there. 
          Once I got off of the train I started to look for my landlord Antonio who was due to pick me up.  He and his wife were a little late but they made up for it in kindness.  Neither of them spoke any English, and my head was so frazzled and their accent so different that I barely managed to understand any Spanish.  So they called their son’s fiancée Lupe who translated.  We had a tour of the town and then went for some tapas.  Ochio bread – made with olive oil, tomatoes (I think) and salt is a local delicacy and is one of my new favourites.  We also had pork done in some sort of pesto and picante cucumbers.  Yummy.
          I got to go into the school and see the ancient library, but more of that in a separate post me thinks.
          I skyped home and then settled in for the night.  I was so tired.  And so relieved to finally be here. 



    

No comments:

Post a Comment