Thursday, September 29, 2011

Year Abroad - The day I found out my timetable/went out for tapas with some awesome Spaniards and Americans

     This morning I woke up once again to the sound of cicadas and a few hours before my alarm went off.  I guess I was just a bit worried that I'd miss my meeting at the school.  As it turns out I was still 10 minutes early, I always seem to overestimate the length of time it takes to get sorted.  So there I was sitting awkwardly in the staff room waiting for Geni, the bilingual coordinator.  Everyone is really friendly and of course the Spanish are very touchy feely.  I'm still not used to it, but I shrug off my British-ness and accept it.
     So off we went to our meeting where she explained my timetable and other bits and pieces about school life.  I will be in with 1st and 2nd years most of the time as well as one 4th year class.  The classes I'm in are Art (hey, I'm awesome at colouring in!!), Citizenship (apparently this is like debates and things, and I'm guessing is a little similar to Modern Studies - but we didn't have it in our school so I'm not really sure), Science (Geni said that this was a mixture of all the natural sciences, so I'm guessing it's like what we did at that stage in our school) and the class I really wanted History/Geography (again it's mixed social subjects).  I think I'm going to hate Wednesdays as I start at 8.15 am!!!!!  Umm....


     Reyes and Geni gave me a birthday present.  A really nice necklace and bracelet, very Spanish.

     




     I met the other language assistant who is living in the flat below me.  She is from North Carolina.  We went for a walk with Reyes, one of the teachers and the other American language assistant Dave, from Colorado.  The walk was fun and we were talking for nearly the whole time in Spanish, which is a big confidence boost for me as I'm getting better at understanding the spoken word and being able to respond correctly and naturally.  As I joked before this is the longest oral exam of my life!!

      Thursday nights, from what I gather, is the night that a group of teachers and the assistants go for tapas and apparently Salsa dancing.  Megan and I spent a lot of the time talking to a bilingual music teacher from the other high school in Baeza.  I got abondigas because they are one of my favourites and the actual proper thing was so gooooood.  They melted in your mouth and were amazing.


     All in all today has been another great day in Baeza, roll on many more.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment