Tuesday, April 01, 2014

General Life Update or Why I Stopped Writing this Blog and Wrote a Dissertation Instead!

So, we meet again.  Long time since I've written here...and I sort of left in the middle of things.  If I get some time I will finish the series on being an au-pair as it was a wonderful experience and I want to re-visit it and remember.

Day to day life plods on the same.  A lot of studying and essay writing was undertaken, and my dissertation was handed in in December after a lot of hard work!

Finally, it was done!  

However, time is most definitely of the essence.  I have just finished my last ever semester as an undergraduate at the University of Glasgow.  Five exams, starting at the end of April and lasting until the 17th May, a Grad Ball (which took up a bit of time as I was helping to organize it) on the 26th May and then *dun dun dun* Graduation on 26th June!
 

Then I say goodbye to it all...very strange feeling as I know I want to travel, I don't want to settle down and start a career without properly thinking about it and 'tengo muchas ganas' about seeing the world, but...and here's the rub...I don't want to disappear and lose my life again.        

Since returning home at the end of my year abroad, I have found new friends and rekindled old friendships which were affected by my previous journey.  I know how hard it is to keep in contact with people when you don't see them regularly due to being across the sea, and how easy it is to just move on.  The thing is I don't want to take the easy option.  I want and need these people in my life, not as part of the background but as friends whom I see and talk to regularly.

My last ever music club concert with the GUBB - I'm 2nd (or 4th) smallest

Hispanic Panic! with some of my best friends who all happen to be students of Spanish!

Selfie time!  


On the other hand, I know that my future, at least in the short-term cannot be here.  I have already applied to go back to Spain as a language assistant, hoping and wishing that I get placed in Barcelona in order to improve my catalan alongside my castilian.  I feel more at ease using Spanish as my everyday tongue and part of my resolutions for this year was that my 'Spanish persona' - a more confident, fiery and extroverted form of my personality - could translate over into my Scottish self.  I'm still very much an introvert (although technically I fall on the scale as an introverted ambivert) and find social situations daunting, the ball of anxiety knotting in my stomach, but I can see the difference, and others have commented on it, since coming home.

Another pic of the Big Band!  Look at Team Trumpet in the back!  
 

I think this has gotten a bit rambly...so perhaps it is time to wrap it up.  The future is a very big, scary, daunting place which I'm heading to on a daily basis.  Change is inevitable as I attempt to figure out the next step.  The next trip I take is actually going to be closer to home as I'm off to Leeds on Saturday to meet my imaginary friends for the first time and then I'm still trying to plan a jaunt to see my sister who is on ERASMUS in Maastricht, Netherlands.  Summer is rapidly approaching and my vague plans are to go to France for 6 weeks whilst studying a language course in order to have the requisite time to apply for teacher training.  And then, well, hopefully it'll be on yet another plane destined for my adopted homeland - *fingers crossed* for somewhere in Catalonia!  Preferably near a Ryanair airport so people can come visit!        


       

No comments:

Post a Comment